Municipal office filings to open soon
Candidates for municipal office in seven Alfalfa County municipalities may file Declarations of Candidacy beginning at 8 a.m. Monday, February 1.
Kelly Stein, Secretary of the County Election Board, said the filing period ends at 5 p.m. Wednesday, February 3.
Declarations of Candidacy will be accepted at the County Election Board office. Located at 602 W. 5th St., Ste 3, Cherokee, for the indicated offices for each of the following municipalities:
• Town of Byron: Board of Trustees, 4-year term and Treasurer, 4-year term.
• Town of Burlington: Board of Trustees, 4-year term.
• Town of Carmen: Board of Trustees, 4-year term and Board of Trustees, 4-year term.
• Town of Goltry: Board of Trustees, 4-year term, Board of Trustees, 4-year term and Board of Trustees, 2-year unexpired term.
• Town of Helena: Board of Trustees, 4-year term and Board of Trustees, 4-year term.
• Town of Jet: Board of Trustees, 4-year term, Board of Trustees, 4-year term and Board of Trustees, 2-year unexpired.
• City of Cherokee: Commissioner at Large Mayor, 4-year term, Treasurer, 4-year term, Commissioner, Ward 1, 4-year term and Commissioner, Ward 3, 4-year term.
The first six (6) municipalities’ officers (Byron, Burlington, Carmen, Goltry, Helena, and Jet) are nominated and elected at large. To be eligible to become a candidate in a nonpartisan election, a person must be a resident and a registered to vote for at least six (6) months prior to the first day of filing at an address within the municipality.
The City of Cherokee is a charter city whose Commissioners of each ward are nominated and elected by only that ward.
The Commissioner at Large (Mayor) is elected at large.
No person shall be eligible to be a member of the Board of City Commissioners, unless such person shall have been a citizen of the United States, and a resident of the City, for at least on year prior to such person’s election, and shall have resided in the Ward from which such person is elected for at least thirty (30) days prior thereto, and registered voter of the city for a minimum of six (6) months prior to filing the candidate’s declaration of candidacy.
Filing forms for these offices are now available at the Alfalfa County Election Board office located at 602 West 5th Street, Suite 3, Cherokee, OK. or online at www.ok.gov/elections. Declaration of Candidacy forms will be accepted in the Alfalfa County Election Board office on the following dates:
• Monday, February 1, 2021, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
• Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
• Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
The municipal offices at stake in above mentioned municipalities will be filled in the nonpartisan election scheduled April 6, 2021.