Burlington BOE holds June meeting
The Burlington Board of Education met at 8 a.m., June 17, for their regular meeting.
The meeting was called to order with Terry Graham, Robert Hill, April Kisling and Aaron Smith present.
Also present were Dr. Stacey Croft, Superintendent, Kevin Brown, Superintendent, Gerrett Spears, High School Principal, and Tracy Granados, Minutes Clerk.
The consent agenda was approved first as follows:
• Agenda as part of the minutes.
• Minutes from May 17.
• The 2021/2022 Assemble Paperless Meeting subscription and Storage with OSSBA in the amount of $3,000.
• Membership in OSSBA Employment Services Program in the amount of $329.
• Policy maintenance services subscription through OSSBA in the amount of $750.
• District membership into the following Organizations: Northwest Oklahoma School Officials at $500; Oklahoma State School Board Association (OSSBA) at $1,475; Organization of Rural Oklahoma Schools (OROS) at $600; and Oklahoma School Advisory Council (OSAC) at $350.
• Workers compensation with OSAG for $9,819.
• Purchasing school supplies for students for the 2021/2022 school year.
• Renewal of membership of Edmond’s new Prime Vendor Agreement with US Foods (RFP 321-30) for 2021-2022.
• Renewal of the TLE model teacher evaluation tool for the 2021/2022 school year.
• The contract with MAS for the 2021/2022 school year in the amount of $6,300.
• Renewal of the Basic Legal Services Program with the Center for Education Law for the 2021/2022 school year in the amount of $900.
• The renewal with Follett for the 2021/2022 school year in the amount of $1,101.29
• Renewal agreement with Schendel Pest Service for FY 2021/2022 in the amount of $656.
• The subscription with Renaissance for the 2021/2022 school year in the amount of $3,789.
• Renewal of the OSSBA Superintendent Evaluation Tool for the 2021/2022 school year in the amount of $200.
• The transfer of building fund money that was incorrectly expended, to the general fund in the amount of $22,720.90.
• Kevin Brown as Authorized Federal Program Representative for all state and federal programs and authorized purchasing agent for Burlington Public School 2021/2022.
• Kevin Brown and Gerrett Spears for second signatures with Brenda Stricker and Tracy Granados for the school activity fund expenditures for 2021/2022.
• A corporate resolution to approve a Business Purchase Card Agreement with Prosperity Bank & OSSBA of Oklahoma City authorizing Kevin Brown, Superintendent, to enter into an agreement and instruct Prosperity Bank to issue purchase cards to one or more employees of the school for the account of the school and in respect of which the school shall be responsible.
Next, an insurance quote from OSIG for $72,416 for the period of July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 was approved. Dr. Croft pointed out that the current quote did not include the property at 702 6th Ave, Burlington but that OSIG was working on adding it.
Also approved was a quote from Triple G Fence, LLC for $9,400 for fencing at school properties located at 205 Main Street and 503 Myrtle Street.
Next, encumbrances, change orders, warrants, May activity report and to reserve from the 2020/2021 General fund $49,266.37 and Building fund $13,377.55 for purchases and projects approved by the Board for which invoices have not yet been received.
The minimum teacher salary schedule and superintendent salary were approved.
No action was taken on salary increases for support staff.
At 9:18 a.m. the board convened into executive session to discuss the ongoing performance of the superintendent. After the board returned to open session, no action was taken.
Dr. Croft gave her report:
• Reminded the board of the upcoming OSSBA Conference August 26-29 in Oklahoma City. All Board members, the Superintendent and Principal are registered for the conference.
• A utility comparison for the past year was presented and Dr. Croft noted that the colder weather had increased heating costs this year.
• Megan Ferrell, Daycare Director, is busy completing additional trainings needed as well as furnishing the new daycare location for the final DHS walk-through.
Principal Gerrett Spears gave his report:
• Staff was busy preparing for the start of the 2021/2022.
• Work is being done to update the handbook and schedules in preparation for enrollment in the fall.
• In addition, the basketball teams have been busy at summer camps. The junior high boys attended a camp at Cherokee, the high school boys have attended camps at Alva and Okarche while the high school girls attended a camp at Keifer and will be headed to one at Oklahoma City University.
• FFA students attended the Oklahoma Leadership Conference in OKC as well.
Two items were presented under new business.
The first was the resignation of Brenda Stricker.
The second was the additional encumbrances and payment for June daycare payroll.
Both items were approved.
The meeting adjourned at 9:59 a.m.
The Burlington BOE will hold their next regular scheduled meeting at 8 a.m., Wednesday, July 7 in the superintendent’s office.